One of the old photos of Wickenburg that I tracked down is this old postcard of the Rancho Grande Motel in downtown Wickenburg.
I’m no expert, but I’m guessing that this postcard was from the 1950s or early 1960s. (It would be a lot easier to tell if there were cars in the photo.)
The Rancho Grande Motel, circa 1950s or 1960s.
The motel still exists. It’s now the Best Western Rancho Grande Motel and, as you can see in the photo below, it’s been expanded a bit with a huge sign. The cover over the drive-through area for check-in was removed; I don’t know when.
The Best Western Rancho Grande Motel, February 2006.
The motel got new owners a year or two ago and many of the rooms have since been refurbished (although I’m sure they were refurbished at least once before then, too). Located right in downtown Wickenburg, it’s currently one of the more popular places for overnight stays.
One of these days, I’ll try to get a current photo of the pool, since it also appears in the old postcard above.
If you know more about this building or business or have other old photos, use the Comments link below to let us know.
Last 5 posts by John Aabbott
- Help Keep the Gold Rush in Town - February 9th, 2007
- Oh, the Tangled Webs they Weave - October 29th, 2006
- Your Vote Can Stop the Selling Off of Wickenburg - September 1st, 2006
- Just Say No to Wal-Mart in Wickenburg - August 2nd, 2006
- Wickenburg Restaurant Sales Tax Second Highest in Arizona - April 29th, 2006