After the Walnut Grove dam disaster in 1890, the narrow minded leaders of the community of Wickenburg refused to allow the Mexicans and Chinese who had perished in the ensuing flood to be buried in the local cemetery. Ygnacio Garcia was a local rancher who responded to this affront and donated land for a cemetery so they could have a proper burial place. The cemetery is located about one mile west on Highway 93. The cemetery is on your left set back from the highway. Not wanting to acknowledge the generosity of a Mexican, the town called the cemetery “Catholic Cemetery.” It wasn’t until some time later that it began being called “Garcia Cemetery.”
Around 1895 Don Garcia again donated land, this time for the town’s first school house. The first school house on the site was a temporary wooden building that was brought in from a local mine. It served for ten years and then in 1905 the town raised money and built the brick structure that still stands. It was originally known as the “Wickenburg Grammar School”. It wasn’t until years later that it became known as “Garcia School.” This school served the community for about twenty years. A new school was built alongside Garcia School. This school was in use until 1978 when it burned to the ground.
Garcia School House